Saturday, April 2, 2011

Cheater Cinnamon Rolls



Just look at that picture for a while. Bask in it. Imagine the smell. Now, look at the ingredient list. Yes, I really meant to type "cake mix." That is the secret to my success at cinnamon rolls and the reason Justin says I am a cheater (remember, he makes his own cheese).

Bread:
1 white or yellow cake mix
2 pkg. yeast
1 tsp salt
2 c flour
3 c flour

Filling:
1/2 c melted butter
1/3 c brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp flour

Combine the first four ingredients. Add 2 1/4 c hot water. Mix. Add the 3 c flour and knead until well mixed. Let the dough rise until doubled. Punch down. Separate into two balls. Roll the first ball out into a large rectangle. Pour 1/2 the melted butter on the rectangle and spread evenly. Then sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar/cinnamon/flour mixture over the butter. Roll up, cut, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat with the second dough ball. Let rise a second time for 20 minutes covered with a damp towel. Bake at 375 degrees for 13-16 minutes.

The frosting is a standard powdered sugar mix (1 lb p.sugar, 3 tbsp flour, 1/4 cup milk, vanilla to taste). Make sure you frost these while they are hot. I put a spoonful of frosting on the top of each roll and let it melt all over it ever so nicely.


Can you taste the cake mix? No, ma'am. You cannot. Roo says it tastes like bread with lots of sugar.


E-man didn't say much, except "More milk, please." So, I guess he liked 'em. Now, if you don't mind, I am going to eat some cinnamon rolls.

1 comment:

Tina said...

yum, yum, they look delish!